Let’s talk about how great bananas are – self-contained packaging, no need for utensils when eating, very transportable. Pretty much your perfect on-the-go snack. I’ve been taking them to work for either breakfast or snack lately.
Not so great? The shelf life. I overestimated my banana needs and suddenly had a pile of very brown bananas on my counter. Which brings us to the best features of bananas: sometimes they incite the need to bake a tasty treat. This tasty treat is totally justifiable for breakfast.
These muffins are quick and easy to make. The streusel topping takes this from a boring breakfast muffin to a sweeter brunch muffin. Plus, mashing bananas is just fun.
Mashed Banana Muffins with Oatmeal Streusel
The muffins are the perfect use for overripe bananas - a lightly sweetened muffin made just a bit sweeter by an oatmeal streusel topping.
- 3 ripe bananas
- 1 stick butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 1/2 c. sugar
- 1 1/2 c. flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 tbs butter, melted (half a stick)
- 1/4 c. all purpose flour
- 1/2 c. oats
- 1/2 c. brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 375°.
- Mash the bananas with the butter until the bananas are well mashed. Stir in the egg and sugar. Combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and salt, then add it to the banana mixture.
- Mix up all topping ingredients.
- Butter a muffin tin, then fill each muffin cup about 3/4s full. Put a spoonful of topping right in the middle of each cup of muffin batter.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until muffin tops are browned.
Copyright © 2016 The Everything Kitchen