Remember my garden full of jalapeños? Expect lots of spicy recipes this summer.
Jalapeño-honey sweet potatoes…I love how the spicy balances out the sweet. Sweet potatoes have been a fairly recent addition to my diet, given my memories of Thanksgiving mashed sweet potatoes that were loaded with brown sugar.
This dish is made of sliced sweet potatoes interspersed with slices of jalapeño and garlic (a far cry from those Thanksgiving sweet potatoes!).
The whole pan is drizzled with a honey/butter/vinegar dressing that takes it all to the next level without making it overly sweet.
Bake until the potatoes are soft. Easy as that.
Jalapeño-Honey Sweet Potato Bake
Jalapeño-Honey Sweet Potato Bake combines spicy and sweet in an easy side dish.
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 2 jalapeño peppers
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1/4 c. honey
- 1/4 c. butter (half a stick)
- 2 tbs apple cider vinegar
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 425°.
- Using a mandoline, slice the sweet potatoes and jalapeños. Cut the garlic cloves into thin slices. In a small pan (I used a bread pan) arrange the sweet potatoes. Add a slice of jalapeño in between every other slice of sweet potato, and a slice of garlic in between the rest.
- In a microwave-proof bowl, add the honey and butter and microwave until the butter is melted (~30 seconds). Add the vinegar. Mix well, then drizzle over the sweet potatoes. Sprinkle the potatoes with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes, until the sweet potatoes are soft. If the sweet potatoes are getting too dry, baste with the dressing and cover the dish.
Copyright © 2016 The Everything Kitchen