I have wanted to try marinating mushrooms for quite a while, so I was excited to finally give it a shot. These mushrooms are marinated in a basic Italian-style dressing, and I put them on skewers for some tasty kabobs.
The dressing has salt, Italian seasoning, and crushed red pepper flakes. We kick it up a notch with some fresh basil.
The spices get mixed up with extra virgin olive oil and red wine vinegar. Cloves of garlic too!
Mushrooms typically come in 8oz packages, and I could only fit about 3/4 of a package in my jar.
Marinate in the fridge for 8 to 24 hours, then they are ready to be served as-is. They can also be used to spruce up some kabobs – I even took a tablespoon or two of the dressing and added it to meatballs for kabobs.
Italian Marinated Mushrooms
Italian marinated mushrooms can be served as an appetizer or side dish, or can be incorporated into grilled kabobs!
- 6 to 8 oz of mushrooms (one package)
- Fresh basil - ten leaves, give or take a few
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 c. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbs red wine vinegar
- Chop the basil. Mix with the Italian seasoning, pepper flakes and salt. Take two garlic cloves and smash them with the flat side of a knife. Mix the basil, spices, and garlic with the evoo and vinegar.
- Put the mushrooms in your marinating container - a bag works fine, use something that can be sealed. Pour the dressing over the mushrooms. Shake the container to ensure that each mushroom gets fully coated.
- Marinate in the fridge overnight, up to 24 hours. Drain and serve.
Copyright © 2016 The Everything Kitchen