Two versions of zucchini bread just aren’t enough. Plain zucchini bread is good, but chocolate zucchini bread with chocolate chips is irresistible. Eating your veggies was never so easy.The chocolate chips turn into molten pockets in the bread, and this bread is so chocolate-y you’d never realize there was even zucchini present.
I made a batch of traditional zucchini bread
at the same time as this batch of chocolate zucchini bread, which was very unfortunate for the regular zucchini bread because it was hard not to play favorites.
This recipe uses the same base as last week’s
recipe, except a cup of flour is replaced by a cup of cocoa powder, plus this one has chocolate chips.
Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread
Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread is made with both cocoa powder and chocolate chips to make it an extra chocolate-y serving of vegetables.
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup butter (1 stick)
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 3 cups grated zucchini
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Butter two bread pans.
- Cream the eggs, butter and oil. Stir in the sugars until fluffy.
- Add in the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Stir until well mixed.
- Mix in the chocolate chips and zucchini.
- Split batter evenly between two bread pans. Bake for 45-50 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the middle of a loaf comes out clean.
I subbed in apple sauce for the butter for an overall healthier version of the zucchini bread.
Freezer instructions: let the zucchini bread cool completely. Place in a gallon freezer bag and freeze zucchini bread for up to 3 months.
Copyright © 2016 The Everything Kitchen