You’ll want to keep this easy, delicious soup recipe tucked away in your back pocket for a rainy day. Maybe that Saturday when you really wanted to be outside, but since it’s raining you’ve decided to embrace the laziness and hang out on the couch with your current binge-watching obsession (might I suggest Parks and Rec?).A few bites of this soup will bring back the nostalgia of rainy summer days when Mom would heat up some Campbell’s tomato soup with a side of grilled cheese. This is definitely the adult version – a more fabulous blend flavor and texture. It takes barely more effort than the canned soup.
A small onion and a couple cloves of garlic get sauteed until soft.
One 28-oz can of crushed tomatoes is all you need. I failed to find crushed tomatoes in my pantry so I ended up running some whole plum tomatoes through my manual food processor.
The tomatoes and a quart of chicken stock get added to the onions / garlic and brought to a simmer.
Add in some salt and pepper. Basil too.
Stir in the cream.
More simmering. You don’t really want this to boil. Simmer those delicious smells all through the house.
During that last simmer, start up the grilled cheese.
If you take your eyes off them for a second, they burn. Gah.
Dice up into croutons, serve over a hot bowl of soup.
This grown-up version of a childhood favorite is almost as easy as the canned version, but with much more depth of flavor.
- 1 small onion
- 4 cloves garlic (or less, to taste)
- 1 28oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 qt (4 c.) chicken stock
- salt and pepper
- 1/4 c. fresh basil
- 1 c. heavy cream
- grilled cheese croutons, for garnish
- Mince the onion and garlic, saute in a medium sized pot over medium heat (use your preferred cooking oil for this) until soft.
- Stir in the tomatoes and chicken stock. Bring to a simmer, simmer 15 minutes.
- Add in the salt, pepper, basil and cream. Simmer for 15 more minutes. Do not boil.
- During step 3, you can also make the grilled cheese - bonus points for using multiple types of cheese. Slice the grilled cheese into crouton-sized pieces.
- Serve the soup hot, garnish with grilled cheese croutons and a sprig of basil.
Copyright © 2016 The Everything Kitchen